Saturday, January 29, 2011

Feeding my soul...

You can ask anyone that's known me for more than five minutes to desribe my top 5 personality traits and I'm sure that crafty, artistic, creative and easy going would never make the list.  Most people see me as a Type A personality through and through.  I even describe myself that way. 

However, I'm truly one of those weird hybrid people that are all precise and punctual, but also need to use the other side of my brain every once in awhile or I feel like something's missing.  The trick is to take on creative tasks that also fulfill the OCD side in me.

For example: crocheting.  I actually have no idea how to do this, but a few months ago I decided that I was going to learn and make myself a blanket. Once I make a decision, it's going to happen no matter what gets in my way, even something little like not even knowing where to begin this little project (that's the Type A in me).

Photobucket

I watched a couple youtube videos, borrowed some needles from my mom, bought some yarn and got to work.  Crocheting is actually a great activiting to mesh the two sides of my brain together.  It's creating something from nothing while also involving doing a repetitive motion while keep track of each stitch/loopy thing.  It's perfect!  Unfortunatley, I am not.  I began and had to start over around 10 times because I kept getting tangled up.  I'm a work in progress, but I will master it eventually!

Another example: painting.  I love, love, love to splatter paint because you can't mess it up.  You just throw paint on a canvas.  Painting a picture is another thing all together because you actually do need to be creative and have some real talent.  I've decided to compromise and paint something like a flower.  It's realatively easy-I can sketch out the form and then just paint in the lines.  That's the thought anyway.  We'll see how it turns out.

Photobucket

It's so important to me that I exercise this underutilized part of my brain.  After I made my wreath, I just felt better about life.  There's something about making something from nothing with your own hands that really does feed the soul.  So, I'll continue to try new things and search out new projects so that I can really be a whole well rounded person instead of a number crunching, contract reading, OCD cleaning person.

Photobucket

Have a happy weekend!

8 comments:

  1. Wow! You're going to be busy! Sounds like your projects are a lot of fun! Good luck with crocheting and painting your flower! Cant' wait to see it when it's finished! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would LOVE to learn how to crochet or knit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're motivating me to get out of my comfort zone and try something new! I hope you enjoy knitting- it really is a lot of fun and very rewarding to see the finished product! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love this post. I'm always trying to "force" a creative, artsy side of myself as well. I once got kicked out of a crocheting class at Michael's and they allowed me to return all of my supplies because they felt sorry for me. It was a sad, sad attempt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like to crochet but I knit more frequently. I am the queen of starting a project and not finishing it so hopefully you are more dedicated than me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to crochet believe it or not but I wasn't very good at it at all so maybe that is why I quit! Your sign looks awesome girl! Have a fabulous day!
    XO
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE your creative side! that's something i have always wanted to work on... but never seem to get into it... being creative that is. i try. i definitely need to look into crocheting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One day I'll teach myself to crochet - but at this moment, I can only figure out the knitting! (it's hard with "left handers").
    Btw - I love the sign :)

    Rudy's Raiser

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity