Saturday, December 25, 2010

Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas everyone!  I hope that you all are having a day full of everything you wanted it to be :)

Unfortunately, this Christmas hasn't been quite what I was planning on.  Last Wednesday I started wheezing and then by Thursday morning I had a full blown cough.  I decided to get into the doctor that afternoon and get started on some medicine with the hopes of avoiding being sick over the holiday.  I got diagnosed with bronchitis.  At that time I just had a cough, a bad one, but no fever or other symptoms.  By late Thursday I was feeling pretty miserable.  I couldn't regulate my body temperature so I was constantly freezing or burning up, I was coughing like crazy, my head was throbbing and I was in pain.  I know I've mentioned it on here before, but I have a bunch of adhesions in my belly from all my surgeries I had back in 2007 for a ruptured appendix.  I've had to deal with pain off and on from those adhesions since then, but Thursday night I was in more pain than I had been in awhile and I had no idea why.  I didn't sleep hardly at all and by Friday morning I was convinced something was wrong.

I had been on medicine for less than 24 hours, but i felt like I should have at least stayed the same and not have been getting continuously worse.  I was to the point where I didn't feel like I could really get out of bed and I felt so bad that I just started crying.  I started to think I was having a reaction to one of the bronchitis meds and that was causing me the pain and a racing heart.  I'm allergic to one other medication and it causes my heart to race and for me to get really anxious and I was feeling very similar.  I called my parents crying and said I think I needed to go to the ER.  They came over and while they were very sympathetic to the fact that I was obviously sick, they didn't want to take me to the ER unless something was REALLY wrong.  I've grown up being told that you don't abuse the ER system and you only go if you're on your deathbed and I completely agree.  It causes long waits and overworked staff when people go in for a cold, ear infection, slight cough, etc.  Especially when regular doctors are open.  It's weird, but I know the ER is cheaper somehow so some people use it for non-emergencies.  Anyway, I told my parents that I didn't think I was on my deathbed, but something was definitely wrong.  I was scared and felt like I would only continue to get worse because I either wasn't being treated correctly for the bronchitis or I didn't have bronchitis.

We agreed to go to an urgent care center and they had us in and out within 30 minutes!  I'm so glad we went there instead of the ER and it turns out that I have Influenza Type A and needed to be on Tamiflu.  My fever was at 101 when I got there and my heart rate was in the 150's.  My blood pressure had gone from 118/80 on Thursday to 156/84.  The doctor said I could quit both bronchitis meds and gave me nausea and pain medication.

Within a couple of hours of taking the Tamiflu and pain medicine I felt tons better.  I know the pain medicine helped break my fever because of the acetaminophen and it helped lessen the pain, but I'm sure the Tamiflu hadn't even begun to work yet.  I think that I just felt better because I was relieved. I knew that something wasn't right and I'm glad I listened to my body.  I doubt I could have stayed on that one medication for the prescribed 5 days without being in severe pain and suffering the consequences from having my heart beat at that speed constantly.  I was also so relieved to just find out it was the flu.  I hadn't realized how much getting so sick in 2007 had affected me.  Being in pain so similar to what I had before all my surgeries really scared me.  The thought of another surgery is terrifying.

I feel even better today than I did yesterday.  Still very sick, but I can tell I'm getting better instead of worse, which is all I can ask for.  I'm celebrating Christmas at home with the pups and frozen pizza so I don't expose my parents even more while I'm still so contagious.  We're going to do our Christmas dinner and presents next weekend.  I'll admit that I cried this morning when we decided that because, well it's Christmas today and I so looked forward to it, but I know it's the right thing to do.  I decided to make the best out of my day and gave the dogs their presents!  They unwrapped them and loved their new toys :)  I've spent the rest of the day watching Friend's DVD's, taking naps and a bubble bath and just plain relaxing.

I think it's important to learn what I can when things like this happen instead of feeling sorry for myself.  And I think this was a wake-up call.  I know that you can't avoid getting sick and that sometimes it just happens, but even before this I just haven't been feeling all that great.  I'm run down with hardly any energy, my stomach is upset way more than normal, etc.  I've said it before, but I promised myself that I would take care of me after I got so sick.  I understood how fragile life was and I just knew I would eat right, exercise, stress less, be kinder...that didn't happen at all.  Feeling so awful has just reinforced that I need to make some BIG changes.  I'm more determined than ever to follow through with my New Year's resolution to exercise everyday.  I've decided to do 30 minutes of physical activity each day.  I will make next year better than this one and I will make it my healthiest year yet!

Sorry this is so long and I don't blame you if you've skimmed most of it.  I wanted to get this down while I can remember how bad I really feel.  I want to be able to look back on this post when I don't want to work out or I want to binge on junk food.  l want to remember that my health is important and all those little choices do add up.

Well, I wanted to post pics of the dogs opening their presents, but writing this has worn me out again.  I think I might need another nap... Oh, and please excuse any grammar errors!

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're feeling better!! I didn't get my flu shot this year & I've had the cough/cold/aches thing going on for like a week, so I'm hoping for the best!!! But go you for wanting to keep your body healthy! I really need to work on that!

    And I love the song!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds absolutely miserable! I'm sorry you were so sick!!! Hope you continue to improve!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! I am so glad you listened to your body and went to Urgent Care.

    Rest and get better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohgoodness! I am so sorry! I am glad you're feeling better and better day by day, but sorry about everything, girl..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad that you are feeling better gorgeous. Hopefully you get completely better soon. Hope you had a Merry Christmas.

    xo

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity