Saturday, September 25, 2010

Creepy Crawlers...

I don't live out in the middle of the country, I live in a neighborhood.  But, I do have horses across the street and when I walk the dogs we get up close and personal with some cows.  I obviously don't live in the middle of the city, but it is somewhat developed.  I love living here.  It's away from the hustle and bustle of the city and all the traffic, but there's a mall and tons of places to eat and shop all within 5 miles.  Unfortunately, I wasn't prepared for all the um...nature.

I need to start taking more pics, but this is a nest that this wasp/bee like thing makes over my backdoor.  So every time I would open the door to let out the dogs, this flying thing would nearly get in the house.  I hate wasps, yellow jacket-its (or however you spell it), bees, mud-dobbers (again to lazy to look up the spelling).   My ex knocked it down a few months ago and he hasn't been back, but yuck!


But those things are nothing compared to the spiders I get out here.  I can handle flying, stinging bugs much better than these spiders.  I can kill baby, well small, ones without a problem.  I'm not that girl that freaks out screaming if she sees one.  The spiders I'm getting are not little things though.  They're usually around the size of the palm of my hand-huge to me!  I actually started paying someone to mow my lawn because I could not handle these things crawling out of their hiding spots when the mower got too close.  Well that and I don't like all the frogs I have around, but that's another story.

I've been telling my dad how big these things are and he just kind of thought I was being a drama queen.  So I came home from walking the dogs a couple of weeks ago and this is what greeted me at the front door:


It's a baby tarantula.  These pictures do not do it justice.  I think my camera lens fogged up because it was so hot out.  And I was sort of afraid to get all that close to it.  This thing was hairy with a huge thick body.  Yuck!  So my dad came over to see what I was freaking out about and said that yup, it was a baby tarantula and I needed to keep an eye out for the parents.  He said I may think this one was big, but the parents literally are the size of your hand.  Just freaking great!  So far, I haven't seen any and I hope I never do!


Other than the ridiculous amount of spiders I've seen in the past 10 months, I am so grateful and happy to have this home.  If God could just tell the spiders to move on to some other place, I'd be even more grateful. :)

6 comments:

  1. Oh my! I would have freaked out, screamed like a little girl, and ran in the house without bothering to take a picture. To think that it's parents are still out there and are BIGGER?! No thanks.

    I would call an exterminator and pronto. ICK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, the nest thing- i wouldn't like at all.
    The spider- one of us would have been dead about .089 seconds after we spotted each other!! And the exterminator couldn't be called soon enough. Spiders are NOT my friends!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agh! I HATE spiders and wasps and all things that could bite or sting me! *icks* That is a HUGE spider, girl!! goodness!

    Love the new layout!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not terrified of small insects either, but if I see a spider as big as my hand crawling around I might scream a little... Sorry you have to deal with those new uninvited guests :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my word!!! I would have screamed my head off and moved lol.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH MY GOODNESS!! that is spider is WAY too big for me! lol

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity