Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Messy bed, Messy head...

I'm sure ya'll have heard this saying or some form of it over the years. My dad used to say that you could tell so much about a person just by looking at their car. Even if it was an older car, if the owner kept it washed and the inside clean it showed that they were responsible and probably had other good qualities. On the other side, if the car was always a dirt splattered trash can, then you could make a case that that owner probably wasn't on top of other things in their lives as well.

As a teenager, I would vehemently disagree with him. All my friends did not make taking care of their cars a priority and well, neither did I. Since I've become an adult, I've realized that in 90% of situations, he's actually right. My friends that take care of their cars are on-time, successful, well-liked, have nice homes. etc. I've noticed the opposite to be true as well. Of course, there are exceptions, but generally speaking...

Anyway, regardless of what I've observed in other people, for me "messy bed, messy head" is ALWAYS right on target. When my house is a mess or my car is getting trashed or I look like a hot mess, I'm usually extremely stressed and overwhelmed. No matter what life circumstances I'm having to deal with, I handle them better when my house is clean, the bills are made, the car is washed, the dogs are taken care of, I'm taking care of myself, etc.

Right now things in my life are messy. And I'm feeling the effects. The older I get, the more I realize I should just listen to everything my parents say. They always end up being right no matter how much I fight it!

3 comments:

  1. I think I agree with your dad. Today, I was able to get up on time and make the bed, make lunch for hubs and I, and hence, I've been more productive at work than I was yesterday when I didn't make my bed and lunch for us. Coincidince? I don't think so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so true! Your parents are usually correct! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree. I feel a lot more crazy when things are a mess around me, too.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity