Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Bedroom bliss...

Ever since I moved out of my parents house and went to college I've had this NEED to make wherever I live welcoming and a reflection of myself. Even though my dorm rooms were just temporary homes for the year, I still spent waaay too much money decorating every single nook and cranny.

I've learned over the past couple of years that even though I do feel insanely unsettled when things aren't done the way I'd like for them to be, it's not worth the money to buy something cheap to just fill the space. Since I moved into the house over 8 months ago (wow, the time has flown by!) I've really made an effort to take my time and only buy things that I love. Unfortunately, that means that I don't have one single room looking the way I ultimately envision it. In case you haven't noticed, patience isn't one of my strong points. :-)

The most important rooms in my home are the bedroom and living room. I spend the most time in the living room, but I also want my bedroom to feel welcoming and relaxing so I can calm down from the day and get a good nights sleep. I was browsing Google and I came across the picture below:


I would love to have a little nook in the bedroom with a chair and ottoman like this. Add in a comfy throw and I would probably spend tons of time there reading books and magazines.

What do you guys think? Do you use the chair if you have one in your bedroom or is it more for decorative purposes? My biggest concern is actually the color. White is what sticks out in my mind as what I would want the most, but we all know white isn't the best option on something that gets used frequently.

I made up a new budget today (that's a whole other post), so I'm not sure when a chair will make it into the house, but I do like looking!

3 comments:

  1. I've been looking at chairs and furniture lately, too. I want one of those chairs, and yeah the white ones are soo nice, but with two cats I know it would never stay that way! Let me know how it works out for you if you do get one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The calmest & most "at home" room I've ever had was a light teal blue. I've had pink, olive green, lavender, eggshell, and gray blue bedrooms and none of them have been as soothing as the teal blue. Maybe it was the mixture of the sand colored carpet with the walls that reminded me of the beach & that's why it was so great, haha. And if I had a chair in my bedroom, it would end up being a catch all for clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, we've been in our house for 12 years and there isn't a room 100% complete yet! I'm so glad that I didn't run out and buy stuff for the space right away though (although I've had plenty of time now!) bc I feel like I've gotten to know the space, arranged and rearranged, and my tastes have changed. I'm starting to walk into my house and love it now though, even in it's perpetual halfway-done-state.

    I love the idea of a reading nook! We have a small chair in our room that I use sometimes, but it usually just holds our throw pillows overnight. I think a comfy chair would get used more.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity