Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Musings...

Things have been busy lately! I took off work Thursday to get ready for the garage sale I was having this weekend. I needed to price everything and go through the house to find everything I wanted to get rid of. Then Friday and Saturday we had the garage sale all day and then Sunday was Mother's Day.

Yesterday was absolutely insane at work because I was out Thursday and Friday. I have a ton of deadlines that need to be met so I haven't had much time to catch up on blogs. I meant to last night but then Oklahoma had a bunch of tornadoes come through so things got a little iffy for awhile. I had to drive home in hail and I have some damage to the car, but not anything that's too noticeable so that's a good thing.

Anyway, the point of explaining all that is that I meant to blog about this last week, but just didn't get around to it. I've been thinking for quite awhile what I want to do in terms of career in the future. For years I had always planned on going to law school, but then I was in the hospital when it started and I realized through my current job that I wouldn't have really enjoyed being an attorney in the long run. Contracts get kind of boring.

Ever since I spent so much time in the hospital, I've been intrigued by the idea of working in the medical field. I do that to some degree right now, but I think I want to be more involved. I contacted a local hospital to see if I can shadow some of their nurses. I'm hoping that I'll enjoy it as much as I think I will and then I can make the decision to go back to school. I have a BS right now, but it's in Business so I'll need to take some more college classes before I can apply to nursing school. I think it's only going to be 4 or 5 classes so that's not bad at all! Then I would need to decide whether to go for an RN or a BSN.

I'm getting ahead of myself though. I just hope I like the shadowing because I'm not sure what else I would want to do. It would be a HUGE change. I would go from working in an office, dressed business casual, making a decent salary to being on my feet all day, wearing scrubs, and starting out at the bottom of the pay scale again.

It would be worth it if I felt like I was making a difference though. I had some amazing nurses and I want to help care for someone the way they cared for me.

2 comments:

  1. Go for it! Taking some classes and going back to school would only last a short amount of time but having a job you love would be long term and so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey.... you should do what makes you happy! It will be worth it!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity