Thursday, April 22, 2010

Mom's Know Best...

When I moved out of my parents house and started my freshman year of college my mom made me a care package. I think it had a bunch of candy and food and some other items, but the thing that I remember most is this little book of quotes called "Reach for the Stars." I'm sure you're familiar with them-you can buy tons of them at Barnes and Noble, Wal-Mart, Target, etc.

This particular one is really special to me though. My mom and I didn't always have the easiest relationship in high school and it warmed my heart that she included this little book. She wrote on the inside cover and called me "spudly" which made me smile because for some reason that was a nickname my parents called me when I was little. It'd been a very long time since she'd called me that and I realized how much I was going to miss her while I was going to school.

Anyway, I wanted to post some of my favorite quotes out of the book:

"You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face." Eleanor Roosevelt

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall." Confucius

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simply your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness." Henry David Thoreau

"When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hang on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn." Harriet Beecher Stowe

"Do the kinds of things that come from the heart. When you do, you won't be dissatisfied, you won't be envious, you won't be longing for somebody else's things. On the contrary, you'll be overwhelmed with what comes back." Morrie Schwartz

"People often say that this or that person has not yet found himself. But the self is not something that one finds. It is something that one creates." Thomas Szas

"Expect the best; convert problems into opportunities; be dissatisfied with the status quo; focus on where you want to go; instead of where you're coming from; and most importantly, decide to be happy, knowing it's an attitude, a habit gained from daily practice, and not a result or payoff." Denis Waitley

"It's so important to believe in yourself. Believe that you can do it, under any circumstances. Because if you believe you can, then you really will." Famous Amos

"It is only the first step that is difficult." Marie De Vinchy-Chamrond

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." Norman MacEswan

"When will you realize that "today" IS the "tomorrow" you hoped for "yesterday"?" Ken Keyes Jr.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Reinhold Niebuhr

"Happiness is a habit-cultivate it." Elbert Hubbard

"Every person has a purpose and a reason for being on earth." Sanaya Roman

"Don't worry about what the world wants from you, worry about what makes you come more alive. Because what the world really needs are people who are alive." Lawrence LeShan

"The reason why most people miss opportunity when it comes along is because it comes dressed in work clothes." Brian Tracy

"The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work." Arthur Brisbane

"Cherish your friends and family as if your life depended on it. Because it does." Ann Richards

Alrighty, I'm headed to bed soon! Please, please hope there aren't any tornadoes tonight. Facebook has all these status updates about tornado possibilities and I would like for them to stay far, far away.

Night!

5 comments:

  1. these were great, i loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are awesome quotes! I loved them all! THanks for sharing! Very inspirational! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet gesture you momma did! I am loving these quotes! Great stuff! Hope you have a wonderful weekend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I really love this one: When will you realize that "today" IS the "tomorrow" you hoped for "yesterday"

    And my mom and I didnt have the most awesome relationship in high school either, but are thankfully getting closer and closer... I think it's something about girls and their moms. It always makes me so happy when mom does something cute for me or I do it for her.. It just reminds me how much closer we're getting. :) Hope you had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity