Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Ouch!

I've been having pain in the left side of my jaw off and on for the past two weeks. It became constant 4 or 5 days ago and would really bother me to bite down or open mouth very wide. I had a doctors appointment yesterday and it turns out I've irritated my tmj joint (I think that's what he said). He said that it could be caused by stress or grinding my teeth and hopefully we could take care of it and the joint would feel better.

He's prescribed a muscle relaxer and anti-inflammatory to take before bedtime each night. I took them last night for the first time and I am dragging today! That muscle relaxer is still kicking my butt and I just can't seem to stay awake. My doc warned me that might happen so he said I could cut them in half, which I most certaintly will do.

My question to you guys, though is this: Do any of you suffer from tmj or jaw pain? If so, what kinds of treatments have you used to feel better? I know several people that have had surgery, but that was for much more severe cases then what I have. I haven't noticed any difference today, but I'm guessing it just takes awhile to work...any thoughts?


5 comments:

  1. I have TMJ :( I had reconstructive jaw surgery, which definitely helped, but it's something you really can't escape. Whenever I'm stressed, it goes right to my jaw. I did go to physical therapy where they did heat wraps, massages, and then stim with the TENS unit, or other anti-inflamatory shock wave type things. That helped a lot, but going to PT 2-3x per week was a bit much. Mostly I've found that exercise, keeping myself from getting too stressed, bubble baths, and not eating chewy things tend to help. And neck massages from the hubs :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had TMJ since high school. The first time was bad. My jaw was locked for a WEEK! It was no fun. Since then I have only had it a few times and only lasts a few days. There isn't much you can do about it. I'm sorry :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, I don't have any suggestions,
    but I hope you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. my mom has TMJ, so i figured i'd get it sometime down the road (as i seem to be aging very similarly to her). i actually started noticing some soreness within the past year. i'm a total clencher under stress now! or even when i'm just sitting here typing ... not stressed. and when i drive. lame.

    my mom told me to just check myself every once in a while. relax my jaw and relax myself.

    my dentist is suggesting a nighttime mouth guard (my mom wears one), which will at least prevent damage to my poor clenched/grinded (ground?) teeth. i should probably get one. haha but then i'll never get a boy to sleep in the same bed with me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there, Im new here, but I heard about your puppy and had to come for a look, soooooooooo cute!...I have TMJ also, it can be managed...dont chew gum...I maybe have it once a month and really enjoy it. Try not to open any thing with your mouth... and just open your mouth a little when you brush your teeth. Hope that helps. Come visit me and Major, we love your blog!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity