Thursday, January 28, 2010

Quick and easy dinner...

Hi Ladies! I'm so sorry that I haven't posted in awhile-I've missed all of you! I'm still about a week behind on reading all the blogs that I follow, but I'm slowly catching up. We're actually having an ice storm right now so I'm working from home tomorrow. I should be calling patients and pharmaceutical companies, but...I think I can read a few blogs in there somewhere. Ssshhhh-don't tell!

So I thought I'd post a really simple recipe since this blog is supposed to be about finding my inner domestic diva. That definitely includes cooking, even if it's easy cooking. Right? Right.

I'm sure most of you have made some variation of this dish in the past, but here's my take: I call it ziti, although I very rarely use ziti noodles so this time it will be called "spiral pasta casserole bake."

First, boil 1lb of dry pasta. Use whatever kind of noodles you want, but noodles that have more ridges are better because it catches more of the sauce when you're eating. I typically use penne, but I had spiral already at home so I went with that. Cook the noodles until they're about 3/4 of the way done, drain them and put them in a casserole dish. Tip: while they're boiling I try to get other chores done around the house like vacuum, load the dishwasher, etc.

Then take around 3/4 of a small tub of ricotta cheese and mix it in. My mom uses the whole tub when she makes this, but I prefer less because the whole thing will start to taste like ricotta.
Then add a whole jar of whatever type of sauce you'd like to use. I use Ragu traditional spaghetti sauce and it tastes yummy! Throw a couple of handfuls of shredded mozzarella on top.
Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. While baking go comfort your puppy that is feeling traumatized from all the vacuuming...

After 30 minutes, take out and enjoy!


It's super easy and simple but it's great when you're busy and don't have alot of time to cook or if you have friends come by without much notice because I usually have most of the ingredients on hand. Toast some garlic bread and serve with a salad and you're set!

2 comments:

  1. That sounds really good...I'm gonna have to try that...And your dog is soooo cute!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy! I might be able to try that this weekend! The husband doesn't care much for pasta but that looks like it'd be great! I love it! And I love using different types of noodles. Plain spaghetti gets boring!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity